Today we are celebrating Black Dog Appreciation Day + Fire Dog Day and sharing 10 reasons why black dogs ROCK and sharing some information about Fire Dogs and why they're so paw-tastic too! If you have a black dog today, be sure to share yours with us!
So without further ado, here are 10 amazing facts + reasons why black dogs are fantastic pups!
1. Black dogs appear to stay clean longer. Unlike lighter clored dogs, black dogs can hide those dirty paws a little bit longer!
2. I love photographing black dogs! They go with EVERYTHING! From colorful backgrounds to vibrant toys and everything in between, they make an amazing photo every time, contrary to popular belief! With a black colored pup, photo ops are always ripe for the taking. While it can take some extra skills to photograph them, they do look extra dashing with almost any setting or prop with them! Oh, Don't let a poor photo taken in a dark shelter of a black dog impact your decision to adopt one! These dogs are EVERY bit as amazing as any other dog and they love to pose, play and snuggle just like any other dog!
3. If you're someone who wears a lot of dark clothing like I do, it will save you some time with the lint brush! As a pet parent to a feline with light colored hair, I can attest to the fact that it clings to all my favorite outfits - although I still wear it with pride, like any good feline momma!
4. When black dogs age, they go grey, just like us humans! Maybe they'll inspire you to be bold too and allow yourself to go silver as you age! How nice to have someone else to share those well earned silver streaks with?!
5. Start a trend + help be a part of the solution by breaking many myths that surround Black Dogs. Black Dog syndrom is a very real and scary problem in shelters. They are all too often overlooked and are some of the last to be adopted simply based on the color of their fur! A dog’s coat color has no impact on his demeanor or temperament. Be a leader and allow a black dog to inspire by example.
6. This should go without saying, but we shouldn't discriminate based on color of fur or skin. Black dogs are just as adventurous, snuggly, protective, silly, and wonderful as dogs of any other color. Really let this sink in, especially if you are considering adopting a pup in the near future.
7. With winter upon us, the black dog has a very clear reason why he makes the perfect snow dog: They are easily seen! That makes walking and playing outside a little bit safer if and when it snows.
8. There is also another bonus to black dogs come winter, just think of how toasty warm you’ll be snuggling up with a warm black dog. After all, black absorbs the heat, right? So snuggle away!
9 Remember I talked about black dogs looking extra dapper so easily because EVERYTHING pops on them and every color looks smashing beside them! The next time you have a special occasion and Fido is invited, pop on a white bow tie and voila—instant dapper dog! You can save time and money by not shopping for fancy canine couture!
10. No matter the color, dogs see with their noses and love with all their heart. We shouldn't descriminate against humans or pups of a different color. So be a revolutionary. Adopt without discrimination!
A short history on Fire Dogs to get started:
Back in the day, fire fighters had carriage dogs that ran beside the carriage. Often Dalmations made amazing carriage dogs, which is one of the many reasons they're often used still today. Carriage dogs needed to have a few special featuresL Long legs, sturdy body, energy, motivation and endurance. These days, fire dogs come in many shapes and sizes and have many special jobs that you might not be aware of, which makes them TRULY extra special!
1. Some modern Fire Dogs are actually working dogs. They are Arson Specialists. They are trained to detect even the tiniest amount of any number of accelerants in the aftermath of a fire. Dogs have a sense of smell that is 100,000 more accurate than a human’s so they are quite efficient at their job. They are also called Accelerant Detection Canines (ADC), and an arson dog can find out if accelerants were used in a fire in minutes. How amazing is that?!
2. Dalmatians Are Often Deaf. 70% of them are genetically deaf. And while this doesn't mean their a shoo in for becoming a modern day fire dog, the fact that they are unbothered by lights, sirens and noises does make them excellent candidates for being stationed at a firehall.
3. Dalmatians aren’t the only dog in the firehouse. These days it has become common for firefighters (and sometimes entire fire teams) to adopt dogs rescued from fires. These lucky pups, whatever their breed, become symbols of the resiliency, bravery, and fortitude of firefighters and the individuals they help. They can also help be there for children and adults who have been burn victims due to a fire and help them heal. Aren't dogs wonderful?!
4. Fire pups also made an important move into education, helping firefighters demonstrate fire safety and emergency preparedness for school and community groups. They are amazing and patient teachers!
5. The tasks of a modern firehouse dog can additionally include: Serving as companions for firefighters, guarding belongings in the firehouse, hunting vermin at the fire house, riding along to fires and standing guard over the truck and best of all, acting as the fire company mascot!
While any dog can be a fire dog, as many will alert their amazing human family members to a blaze that happens in your home, you never want to have to put your Fido in that tough position. The best way to celebrate National Fire Pup Day is by going over your fire safety plans, escape plans and be sure to check those smoke + carbon monoxide detectors! While Fido may alert you do smoke, nothing beats these tiny machines to alert us to danger in our home.
And of course, last but not least, another great way to celebrate National Fire Pup Day is to swing by your local fire hall and say thanks! Maybe bring along some treats for their Fire Dog and don't forget the fire fighters too! They do a lot for us and today is a great reason to stop by and say thank you!